According to KidsHealth.org, 1 in 3 kids today are overweight, and many of these kids are considered obese. This problem can be attributed to many reasons; however, as a parent, you have a huge influence in your child's size and weight. If you want to help your children stay healthy and help them avoid gaining too much weight, you may want to consider turning your backyard into a recreational area. Here are some ideas to use and information about how this can help.
Get a Swimming Pool
Swimming is one of the best summer activities for children because it offers so many different benefits. Not only is swimming a good activity for your child's emotional health, but it is also a great way for the child to burn calories. In addition, swimming offers the following health benefits too:
- It is one of the best activities for cardiovascular health – Cardiovascular health refers to a person's heart and lungs, and swimming is an exercise that can strengthen both of these. It is also ideal for kids with asthma, and it may even help reduce the symptoms a child suffers from.
- Swimming helps improve stamina and strength – When your children swim, they will actually be building their muscles and their endurance. This could help them succeed in other sports, and it can help them with their overall health.
- It is a great activity for weight control – Swimming keeps kids moving and gets them off the couch. The more active your children are, the more likely they are to be within the correct guidelines for weight and size.
The downside to this is that buying a swimming pool can be extremely costly. While owning a swimming pool is great for kids and adults, your children may not be able to use it as often needed to get these benefits, because swimming requires parental supervision and is not something a child can do alone.
If you cannot afford a swimming pool, there are many other items you can purchase that could have similar effects. These items are all very affordable, and they are fun for kids of all ages.
Whether you purchase a regular size trampoline or a mini one, your child can reap numerous benefits from using it. A trampoline is best known as something you jump on. As your child spends hours jumping on this device, he or she receive the following benefits:
- Building muscles – Jumping primarily builds muscles in the legs, but it may also build muscles in other areas too.
- Cleaning the lymphatic system – Jumping is also useful for cleaning your child's lymphatic system, and this is beneficial for the entire body.
- Losing weight – Any activity that gets the heart pumping can help a person lose weight or control weight. Not to mention, jumping on a trampoline is also extremely fun for kids of all ages.
Another idea you could consider is getting a basketball hoop for your children to use. Playing basketball is not only a great way to stay healthy, but it can also help a child build motor skills. In addition to the physical benefits, basketball is a sport that improves a child's mental abilities.
If your children are small, you may want to consider purchasing an adjustable basketball hoop so that it is easier for them to use.
Finally, you could provide your kids with a box full of other types of activities they could use to stay active all summer long. Some different items you could place in the box include:
- Jump ropes
- Hula hoops
- Football, soccer ball, and baseball gloves and balls
If you cannot afford a swimming pool at this time, you may want to look into some of the other items, such as a trampoline. By providing your kids with the right equipment and resources, you may be able to influence them to stay active, which will help them stay healthier. For great options for your family, contact local recreational equipment retailers like Tree Frogs Wooden Swing Set Factory.